As families celebrate the summer by lighting their grills, campfires, fire pits, and outdoor fireplaces for cookouts and other summer activities, BIC® is making it easier and more fun to teach children about the importance of fire safety. BIC, renowned as a longtime leader of fire safety and prevention education through its award-winning play safe! be safe! fire safety education program, today launched a new, highly interactive, website ( www.playsafebesafe.com ).
The launch of this new resource comes at a critical time of year, as fires started by children peak in the summer months. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), 76 % of fires caused by children playing with fire occur outdoors, and nearly one in four (23%) of those occur in July alone. This is primarily due to the Fourth of July holiday. Nearly 40% of these outdoor fires occur during the summer months of June, July and August.
“Young children are fascinated by fire – the colors, the movement, the warmth and the association with holidays and family celebrations,” said Dr. Robert Cole, President of Fireproof Children and facilitator of BIC’s play safe! be safe! program. “Yet, their developing minds are typically unable to grasp the hazards and consequences of fire – and this combination results in thousands of fire incidents every year. But the good news is that education works, and teaching fire safety to young children can help foster awareness at an early age.”
The new website was created in conjunction with Fireproof Children, an organization that has been working to reduce children’s fire play and fire setting for more than 25 years. The site provides an interactive experience for users and offers helpful resources and information for parents, as well as an activities and games section for children called “Hero’s World,” named for the program’s iconic and beloved Dalmatian mascot, Hero.
Since the inception of the program in 1994, BIC, in cooperation with Fireproof Children, has distributed more than 114,000 play safe! be safe!® kits and presented 184 workshops in all U.S. states, Puerto Rico and every Canadian provinces.
One-hundred five years ago today, the Triangle Shirtwaist Company factory in New York City burned, killing 145 workers. It is remembered as one of the most infamous incidents in American industrial history, as the deaths were largely preventable–most of the victims died as a result of neglected safety features and locked doors within the factory building. The tragedy brought widespread attention to the dangerous sweatshop conditions of factories. This prompted several changes in the fire safety codes including requiring all factory doors to swing outward and remain unlocked during business hours.
79 Years ago today over 295 students and teachers at the New London School in Texas, lost their lives. this was due to a natural gas leak beneath the building and the resulting explosion that leveled most of the school. Natural Gas is a tasteless, odorless gas and at the time had no odorant added. This tragedy prompted the State of Texas to immediately pass legislation requiring that all natural gas used be odorized so building occupants could be warned of any leaks.
Mercaptan is added to the gas to give it the rotten egg smell we all recognize. This change has certainly saved countless lives since this tragedy.
To hear a few stories from survivors of that day please Click HERE.
Pictured are Mr. Travis Whisenhunt from the West Fork F.D. and Mr. Travis Hollis with the AR Fire Prevention Commission.
Click on Picture to visit the West Fork F.D. Facebook Page.
On March 4th, 1908, a tragedy occurred that prompted changes in school safety across the United States. About nine o’clock in the morning 108 years ago today a fire, caused by an overheated furnace igniting nearby dry wood, was started in the basement of the Collinwood School in Ohio. The ensuing blaze resulted in the death of 172 children, two teachers and a rescuer.
Obstruction of a clear pathway to the exits, narrow stairs, and the school’s highly flammable structure were blamed for the fire and consequent deaths of so many children. This “awakened the state to action for better protection against fire in schools and public buildings.” Following the Collinwood School fire (also known as the Lake View School Fire), many changes were made in school building in Cleveland and throughout the country.
The Station nightclub fire occurred thirteen years ago today on Thursday, February 20, 2003, in West Warwick, Rhode Island. The fire was caused by illegal indoor usage of outdoor fireworks set off by the tour manager of the evening’s headlining band Great White, which ignited flammable sound insulation foam in the walls and ceilings surrounding the stage. A fast-moving fire engulfed the club in 5½ minutes.
Video footage of the fire shows its ignition, rapid growth, the billowing smoke that quickly made escape impossible, and the exit blockage that further hindered evacuation. The toxic smoke, heat and the stampede of people toward the exits killed 100; 230 were injured and another 132 escaped uninjured.
It was the fourth-deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history, killing 100 people, and the second deadliest in New England, surpassed by the Cocoanut Grove fire which resulted in 492 deaths.
Goto the National Institute of Standards and Technology site to read the investigative report on this deadly fire. NIST Station Nightclub Fire Report
On this day, February 10, in 1863 the first fire extinguisher was patented in the United States, by Alanson Crane, of Virginia. The tube-container was a step up from the fire suppression glass “grenades” that were previously the most popular form of emergency firefighting.
Little is known about Crane himself, and numerous patents were granted to fire extinguisher inventions around the same time as his. But it is very likely his worked on the same oxygen-deprivation principle of firefighting. Very many early extinguishers contained soda water and bicarbonates, creating carbon dioxide foam from mixing the two (think baking soda and vinegar).
Ever wonder why exit doors in commercial buildings have this “panic bar” to open them?
As with most of our fire codes it was written in the blood of 602 victims 112 years ago today at the Iroquois Theater in Chicago.
The Iroquois Theater fire happened on December 30, 1903. It was the deadliest theater fire and the deadliest single-building fire in United States history. At least 602 people died as a result of the fire, but not all the deaths were reported, as some of the bodies were removed from the scene.
While we pause to remember those lost at Pearl Harbor let us also remember the 119 victims of the Winecoff Hotel fire in Atlanta 69 years ago today.
In 1913, the “absolutely fireproof” Winecoff Hotel was designed and built without sprinklers, fire escapes, or even an alarm system.
On December 7, 1946, the unthinkable happened and one hundred and nineteen people lost their lives leaping from windows, suffocating from smoke, and being burned alive.
This fire, along with two other large loss hotel fires the same year, spurred significant changes in North American building codes, most significantly requiring multiple protected means of egress and self-closing fire-resistive doors for guest rooms in hotels.
Richard Drilling (Left) with Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration was presented a plaque by ASP Major Lindsey Williams (right) for his years of dedication to the Arkansas Fire Prevention Commission. Richard is retiring at the end of the year. All of us on the commission will miss him!
Thank you Richard!
The Arkansas Fire Prevention Commission granted the Searcy Fire Department 250 smoke detectors and $300 to purchase fire prevention materials. SFD will resume our door-to-door smoke detector program for the low income and elderly. Pictured L-R: SFD Inspector Brian Simpson, State Representative Les Eaves, State Fire Marshal Lindsey Williams, Searcy Mayor David Morris, Searcy Alderman Steve Sterling, and SFD Fire Chief Bill Baldridge.
State Fire Marshal Lindsey Williams of the Arkansas Fire Prevention Commission recently presented a $2,800 check to the North Little Rock Fire Department to go toward fire prevention and education efforts. This grant helps fund the Kids Fire Academy, Junior Fire Marshal Program and other fire education efforts.
Pictured: Back Row L-R, Lt. Ben Evans, FF Heath Williams, Captain David Wilson, Assistant Chief Steve Smith, Battalion Chief Roger Robinson, Chief of Department Jim Murphy, Chief of Staff Danny Bradley, Lt. Billy Jones, Captain Gerald Tucker. Front Row L-R. FF Corey Platt, Cpt. Wesley Stephens, State Fire Marshal Lindsey Williams, NLR Fire Marshal John Pflasterer, Alderman Beth White, Lt. Richard Matthews, Lt. Josh Cox, FF Jake Schmidt.
The Arkansas Fire Prevention Commission has united with the Arkansas Tobacco Control Board in the effort to promote fire safety in the state. The TCB has funded $30,000.00 for fiscal year 2012 and $30,000.00 for the 2013 year for fire prevention projects.
- Valley Springs VFD Received $300.00 to purchase and install Smoke Detectors
- Northfork FD Received 50 Smoke Detectors!
- Stuttgart FD Received 100 Smoke Detectors!
- Harrison FD Received 100 Smoke Detectors and $3,800.00 for fire prevention books!